Dave:

You don't use the Module.gwt.xml file to define servlets.
The HTTP Servlet spec and pure java doesn't know about that module.gwt
xml.

Simply use you normal Web.xml to add servlets for the GWT RPC service
calls.
The standare onload stuff work just a before.

remember, GWT is compiling you Java Script files to run the UI.

HTH!