On Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:38:32 AM UTC+1, coderinabstract wrote:

> Experiencing a similar problem and this seems to be very frustrating for
> user experience management especially if you are doing agile build life
> cycle with frequent releases.
>
> The situation is that AsyncCallback failure is NOT firing and when we have
> code split points and there are ONLY User interface changes i.e. ux
> changes, and a user has navigated on all pages of the previous version of
> the app, even with the cache control header (with a servlet filter), the
> failure does not fire i.e. the old UI works fine with the services and
> cannot detect the new UI client on the server unless the user explicitly
> refreshes UI does not refresh.
>
> Any thoughts... examples, best practice. I sincerely hope I am missing
> something as this is very tricky trapping all the what if scenarios when
> there is a new app.

You could, e.g. add headers to your RPC responses (and/or requests),
handled through an RpcRequestBuilder, that communicates a "version number"
for the app.

Or more easily add a "heartbeat" RPC that periodically checks if the UI
needs a refresh (e.g. using the permutation ID as the "version number":
send the permutation ID and check on the server if the corresponding
*.cache.* file exists in the webapp, returning a simple boolean for
instance).