GWT does a very good job at optimizing Java into Javascript. However, the
Closure Compiler team focus a lot of just pure Javascript optimization /
minifications. In fact, the GWT team has been looking into use Closure
Compiler a backend.

I have done some surveys on different Javascript compression and Closure
Compiler outperforms them on almost all situations in terms of size.
Although I might be bias as I am also a contributor to that project.

-Alan