Fastest possible solution is to switch to pure JSON string + Overlay Types
which would result in nearly no GWT overhead.

If you don't want to switch your RPC mechanism or its still too slow then
you have to fetch your data in smaller chunks. For example presenting 10000
objects in a UI list does not make that much sense. Loading chunks of 500
objects while the user scrolls through the list would make more sense. Its
like here in Google Groups. Loading all topics at once wouldn't work, thus
they load chunks of topics while you scroll through them.

If you really need that 10000 objects from the beginning you could maybe
use a RepeatingCommand and load chunks of 500 objects until you have loaded
everything. That way the browser wouldn't lock up, but it will take longer
to download and present the data.

-- J.