When I got to step 3 of StockWatcher, I found that it worked fine in IE8,
but failed in Chrome. After browsing around a bit I found reference to the
same error when using an external server and having to add the server to
the white list in developer plug-in options. So I looked there, and the
page said " To minimize security risks, by default it will only connect to
the local machine."

Well, of course I was using the local machine. But I added it anyway. It
didn't help, so I then did a lot more unrelated screwing around to no avail.

Finally, when I had reached the point of just trying things at random, I
thought: maybe I should put the :9997 on the hostname. So I added
127.0.0.1:9997 on the DevMode options page, and it started to work.

You put textual instructions on the GWT DevMode options page that are
actively misleading. Why? It is really amateurish.