Found a solution to 1): I put the validation annotations in a separate
interface that is implemented by both the proxy interface (client) and the
domain class (server). Since the validation annotations will automatically
be passed down the inheritance hierarchy, validation works now on the
client as well as on the server.

For a longer description with example see my reply to How to do client side
validation with annotated rules on domain classes
(RequestFactory)<http://stackoverflow.com/a/10659828/862411>
.

- Marco