Ok, so I was ruminating over this one. I just modified the default web
project to the code you supplied and it worked fine. Not sure what is
different between my code and yours.

The JSO class

package com.testbrowser.client;

import com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptObject;

public class BrowserVersionList extends JavaScriptObject {
        protected BrowserVersionList() {
        }

        public static BrowserVersionList newInstance() {
                return createJso();
        }

        private static native BrowserVersionList createJso() /*-{
                return $wnd.brVersionMap;
        }-*/;

        public final native String getChromeVersion() /*-{
                return this.Chrome;
        }-*/;
}

The version js file:

brVersionMap={"IE":"8","Firefox":"15","Chrome":"17","Safari":"5"};

The main onModuleLoad body to show the version found:

public class BrowserSupportVersion implements EntryPoint {

        /**
         * This is the entry point method.
         */
        public void onModuleLoad() {

                BrowserVersionList browserVersions =
BrowserVersionList.newInstance();
                GWT.log("Chrome version supported:
"+browserVersions.getChromeVersion());

                // Create the popup dialog box
                final DialogBox dialogBox = new DialogBox();
                dialogBox.setText("Detecting supported browser versions");
                dialogBox.setAnimationEnabled(true);

                // We can set the id of a widget by accessing its Element
                final Label textToServerLabel = new Label();
                VerticalPanel dialogVPanel = new VerticalPanel();
                dialogVPanel.addStyleName("dialogVPanel");
                dialogVPanel.add(new HTML("<b>Supported Chrome version:
                dialogVPanel.add(textToServerLabel);
                dialogVPanel.setHorizontalAlignment(VerticalPanel.ALIGN_RIGHT);
                dialogBox.setWidget(dialogVPanel);

                RootPanel.get("notificationContainer").add(dialogBox);

I put this up and a version of my AppSpot account and it works from IE8, FF12,
and Chrome 18.

*http://4.runpartner.appspot.com/*

Let me know if it works for you. Not sure what's causing your error. ( I
cleaned the code up a little, but it ran as you had it too.)

Sincerely,

Joseph