So I figured out a workaround today.
Add this to your code to workaround this problem in IE:

    private native static void disableDefaultSelection(Element e)/*-{
        e.ondrag = function () { return false; };
        e.onselectstart = function () { return false; };
        e.style.unselectable="on"
    }-*/;

After instantiating the CellList, just call
disableDefaultSelection(cellList.getElement());

-Mike

in Firefox I think there is an analogous property to set....