The document inside you iFrame is a completely separate document and can
be from a different domain as well so won't get any events just like you
don't get events from other browser tabs. However you could communicate
across the boundary by defining your own api's. What I mean is you can add
Javascript methods to the containing document and call them from the child
using top.<insert method name>.

  What I've done in the past is create 2 entry points (and
modules), essentially two GWT apps,  one for the parent window and the
other for the child window. Using JSNI expose a well know method name on
the parent that can be called. It can be a pain but we had an app that
could be hosted in another app using a iFrame and could have hot key
support for both passing key events to the parent. By the way this only
works when both apps are from the same domain.

Good Luck,

Gordon Pike