I'm also on Ubuntu since 10.10 with regular upgrades.
Latest install is a 64 bit 12.04  + eclipse 3.7 indigo, no Unity (I prefer
the traditional menus).

I don't use WindowBuilder and GWT Designer, still I recommend having 8GB
RAM to work without hassle, 4GB tend to get slow. Don't even think about
using Eclipse or NetBeans with 2GB RAM,
The problem isn't GWT per se, but the fact that Eclipse goes up to 1.2GB
used RAM, Tomcat and GWT code server (I use an external server with the
-noserver option in DevMode) 750MB each, so 4GB tend to be a little scarce.

Regards
Lorenzo