I'm using the HTML widget wrapped with vertical scrollbars to tail
incoming messages and then so the DOM doesn't get too big I remove old
messages off the DOM unless they scroll up then I put them back.  The
only problem now is that if the scroll up and Click someplace then
scroll down and Shift-Click to select that range to copy, I might have
removed some of those old DOM entries so the copy will be short
messages.

It seems the perfect solution is to clear/reset their first click
which marked the start of the selection range, but how can I do this?
I've seen a few examples of disabling text selection completely but
that isn't what I want to do, I usually want to support that just not
when I know I have removed some DOM entries.

I'd just like to clear their first click if that's possible to do.  If
that's not possible then possibly disabling range selection when they
do Shift-Click might work, or possibly just changing the Click
location to be the same as the Shift-Click location might be good
second options.

Thanks,
-Dave