There's no way (that I know of) to change an image's color in GWT.  That
kind of thing is child's play in Adobe Photoshop / Gimp.

If you want a really nice site design, you're almost certainly going to
need to create these images yourself.

Also, CSS3 supports doing most of that kind of stuff without needing any
images anymore.  If you're not planning on supporting IE 8 (which Google
will drop support for once IE 10 comes out in a month or 2), then that's
the way to go.

Ryan