Answer below in Bold.

Cheers

2012/9/11 Sebastián Gurin <sebastigu...@gmail.com>

> Nino; I very like your thoughts and I agree with them. My reply between
> lines:
>
> On Monday, September 10, 2012 5:05:25 PM UTC-3, nino wrote:
>>
>> The main Question is do you want YUI users to use Java or do you want  to
>> bring Java Devs to YUI ?
>> I think you will get more traction by choosing the latter.
>>

> I also thought of that. I started learning how to port JavaScript
> libraries to GWT  with my project http://code.google.com/p/raphael4gwt/ ,
> a vector drawing library. As such, performance was a requirement, and then
> a Java API using  GWT overlays directly was a requirement. But now for
> YUIGWT I wonder if that is true. Some notes:

        *Yeah overlay type can be inherited but there is not much u can do
with that.Plus the methods beeing all finals one cant override them. Not
really flexible imho*.

> 1) overlay types CAN be inherited, but I agre that is very unconfortable
> for end GWT/Java users to do this... this is a very important  "issue" in
> my project I think...
> 2) I very liked your question: "do you want YUI users to use Java or do
> you want  to bring Java Devs to YUI ? " and it is making me reflect a lot.
> thanks.
>

>> While a zero overhead API gives you the ability to  easely write YUI code
>> in java soon you will get users request  like "Why cant i extends class X
>> to add my own functions". Overlay types dont give you.
>>
>> We had this problems while implementing our libraries. We started first
>> with 1:1 match of the JS API. Until our users start complaining about the
>> API not beeing extensible. What you would expect  when using an OO language
>> like Java.
>>

> Well, but tell me, do you write a second Java API, with real java classes
> that wrapp the Js objects ? and if so, do you use your previous 1:1 Java
> API for writing the this second more-java-confortable API?  (I sould do
> that) and if so, do you use some Java code generator tool for artificial
> create the second Java API form the first 1:1 - overlays Java API ? can
> this be mechanized at all?
>
> I'm questioning my self these kind of things for my project YUIGWT. YUI
> has a very big API, and unlike other libraries it contains utils for doing
> a more structured - object oriented javascript like classes, inheritance,
> plugins, attributes, events, etc. All artificially and fully extensible
> from javascript. The big desicion I have to make is this: "the objective
> of YUIGWT is to bring the YUI public concrete utilities to the GWT user,
> like a datatable, a button, etc ". But not to support those utilities
> enhancing the Javascript language.

*We dont use generator for our APIs. We go the insane way to look at each
methods in the APIs we try to wrap! This is a lot of work but it gives us
the possibility to optimize/enhendce some stuff. And sometime leave some
stuff out that dont make sence for a Java Developer. Plus you come to learn
the JS library which is not bad (At my day to day work i dont use GWT but
 EXTJS. So Wrapping ExtJS helped me understand  that library better, and
hate it even more loooool). *
* *
* Concerning building the objects. Like i said before we basically have a
real Java Object wrapping a JSO. And we are just delegating to the native
JSO. You can have a look at our Java API for Sencha Touch (
http://emitrom.com/touch4j) to see it in action.*
* *
* If you have any question feel free to ping me.*