Hm we use DevMode and rename-to and never had any problems with it. We have
something like App.gwt.xml, DevApp.gwt.xml (contains logging and inherits
App.gwt.xml), DevAppGecko.gwt.xml (contains use.agent and inherits
DevApp.gwt.xml) and all have the same rename-to="app" attribute, so we
don't have to change the host html page script src path. We also run
DevMode in Eclipse using the Google Eclipse Plugin and our server side code
runs on an external server. So pretty much what you have.

In some few situations (like adding/removing modules in the run
configuration) I remember that the command line parameters for DevMode were
messed up by the Google Eclipse Plugin and you had to correct them
manually. But that has happened quite some time ago and it never happened
again since then. It's pretty much what has been said in comment 6 in your
linked bug report I guess. Have you carefully checked the command line
parameters for DevMode in your run configuration?

-- J.

Thanks Hilco,