I agree with tc. In your rails controllers set your respond_to blocks to
render json then you can use RequestBuilder to make your rest calls. You
can then create jsni methods that eval the json and return Javascript
Overlay object that you can use in your app. During development you may
want to setup Apache as a reverse proxy so that you can run your GWT code
in dev mode and call your Rails services running on a separate port
(because of the cross site scripting limitations they need to be on the
same domain, which means same port too). Alternatively you probably could
use JRuby during development and make sure you can still deploy to MRI.

Thanks,

Gordon Pike
http://gwtcasts.com
http://easygwt.com