I am also happy with GWT, working with it for about 2 years now. I like the
fact that I get all the benefits of a strongly typed language like Java
(strong IDE support, Java debugging features thanks to DevMode, static code
analysis) and you get some nice build-in features through GWT like I18n,
UiBinder, compile time code generators, deferred binding for optimal code
per browser, drop to native JS if needed.

I am not sure if I ever want to write a large enterprise app directly in
JS, I think this can easily become a nightmare. JS can be cool for web apps
but for enterprise apps you need to get it right with the right tooling and
thats where GWT makes your life a lot easier.

Of course GWT has issues, but in general it is pretty stable and there are
quite some people using GWT trunk instead of the official releases (even
Google itself).

I would always choose it again.

-- J.