When servlet engines first came on the scene , developers were writing
stringified content directly to the HttpResponse.  There were also some
popular widget frameworks at the time.   Server side templating was
introduced to let web designers into the fray.  I wouldn't consider it a
hack.  Eliminating them completely has always been a tough sell.  Luckily
GWT does not require this .