Thanks for the suggestion, Andrei - I'll give that a try!

I'm adding listeners to it because our project requires that users clicking
on a certain section of text creates a popup for editing that section's
properties.  We are delimiting these nominal sections like this:

Clicking anywhere on the span or within it brings up the popup.  The popup
has to know all the metadata, and the value of all the children of the
We don't gate what can be placed within the span - it can be any amount of
arbitrary HTML.  This means that where they click could be N layers deep
within a not-necessarily-well-formed HTML structure, so bubbling back up
the DOM tree to the span we're looking for could be tough, if all we had
was a screen position on the RichTextEditor.  It might be less hairy than I
think it is, but I think it would be pretty hairy to do right.

- Tim