Thank you for your thoughts, Manuel!

I've tested this some more yesterday and found out that using gwt-exporter
isn't enough. The compiler will still prune any methods and class that
doesn't seem to be used even if it was exported to JS.
The real problem here is that the compiler has strict rules about where
"original" java objects can be obtained.
If the only way to get a reference to a java object of type X is an
external call from JS (or another gwt module via jsni), the compiler will
always remove this type and all it's methods. The JSNI documentation
here<https://developers.google.com/web-toolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideCodingBasicsJSNI#passing-javascript>is
 the key for me: "Java
Object of the correct type that must have originated in Java code" ...

Following this description I've added an exported dummy method which
returns a static object of type X. That way it's possible to have a
reference to a java object in javascript and pass it back to java. However,
I don't actually use this method. Instead I use a jsni call from my second
gwt module which transfers a different object of the same type to my
receiver module. Et voilà, it works!

Erik