>    1. Look for *.nocache.js files in body - but this could trigger on non
>    GWT sites if someone likes that name/scheme
>
> Can produce false positive as well as false negatives. I think you can
rename "nocache" to anything and, like in Google Groups, you don't have to
use the *.nocache.js file at all if you have a dynamic index.jsp that can
detect the correct permutation right away. In that case you only have a
<script> tag that contains the permutation file.

>    1. Check for the __gwt_historyFrame iFrame - sounder
>
> This iFrame is optional. If you don't want/have History support you don't
need it.

A good way to detect GWT apps is to check if window.__gwt_activeModules has
been set. Additionally, If it is set, you could read its data and check if
an iFrame exists whose id attribute holds the name of the module you check.

Google Groups has an iFrame whose id is "standalone" and if you open up
Chroms JS console and you execute

window.alert(JSON.stringify(window.__gwt_activeModules))

you get:

{"standalone":{"moduleName":"standalone","moduleBase":"https://groups.google.com/forum/"}}

So this should help you a lot.

-- J.