Tried it yesterday and had the same error. Maybe Maven pulls in a library
thats not really compatible with the demo so I have done

mvn install

in /atmosphere-extensions/gwt/

to install all the atmosphere gwt snapshots into my local repository and
then re-run mvn gwt:run in the gwt-chat directory. Works for me.

As mvn gwt:run starts GWT DevMode with embedded Jetty you won't have
WebSockets as the bundled Jetty does not support them. So the library will
fall back to another push mechanism. For WebSockets you would need to
deploy it to a newer Jetty or a different container.

-- J.