Hi,

in the meantime I tried more than 5 different approaches, using divs with
float or display:table/row/cell and that. All approaches work with all
browsers except IE8! So I found that the problem may not be located within
the CSS!

The key observation for me is that the problem went away while playing
around with IE's display and document "modes": When switching to "IE8
standards mode", it works fine! When it didn't work, IE was in "IE 7
standards mode (page standard)".

So the non-working "IE 7 standards mode" is the "page standard". One
approach could be to make IE asume that the working "IE 8 standards mode"
is the "page standard". But how?
I found that my host page simply begins with "<!doctype html>". I know that
this means "strict mode", but can we extend this so that IE assumes its
"IE8 standards mode"?

My current goal is to make IE switch to "IE8 standards mode" automatically.
I believe that it could be a solution to guide IE into that direction...

Magnus