On Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:50:00 AM UTC+1, Goktug Gokdogan wrote:

> GWT's built-in library space is already bloated and getting harder to
> maintain. Inside GWT, we need to do less but do better.
> And good thing is, a lot of stuff doesn't need to be baked in; like
> the protocol buffers; it is a valuable feature but I personally don't see
> GWT having it as a first class citizen; at least in the near term.
> On the other hand we can definitely help out on removing any blockers and
> support anybody who would like to implement it as a 3rd party library.

+1

Wondering what Google is doing though ;-)
Are you somehow generating, say, RequestFactory ValueProxy-s from .proto
files? It looks like what BobV was planning.

> It looks like there is enough demand, why don't you guys start a project
> for that?

Feel free to continue protobuf-gwt where I left it, I can add
committers/owners if anyone's interested (let's discuss it
in https://groups.google.com/d/forum/protobuf-gwt then)
I wonder whether it would make sense to support the binary serialization
using TypedArrays in browsers that support them.
As for generating client code, the patch I made was never merged into
protobuf, so wrt codegen, I think I'd rather use the approach taken by
Wave: use protoc to generate "normal" Java classes, then load the classes
and use the protobuf "reflection" API to generate GWT-specific
implementations.