Good point, but I don't think that's it. I walked the code several finding
the loop on it self
here:
http://code.google.com/searchframe#T04cSGC7sWI/trunk/user/src/com/google/gwt/user/server/rpc/impl/SerializabilityUtil.java&q=SerializabilityUtil%20package:google-web-toolkit%5C.googlecode%5C.com&l=870

and the second time around it gets reset
here:
http://code.google.com/searchframe#T04cSGC7sWI/trunk/user/src/com/google/gwt/user/server/rpc/impl/SerializabilityUtil.java&q=SerializabilityUtil%20package:google-web-toolkit%5C.googlecode%5C.com&l=376

I don't have the *_CustomFieldSerializer in the translatable path either so
it wouldn't be able to sent over the wire. But this I've found is only half
of the recipe and  just checking the signature. So I'm looking at the
generator or serialization oracle.

Brandon