On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 7, 2013 3:45:53 PM UTC+1, membersound wrote:
>>
>> Yes I know this side. But it still does not tell me:
>> - how to validate the name before creating the person object (which I'm
>> looking for in terms of numbers like int age; There I'd first like the
>> validator to catch if it's a valid age before creating the person object)
>

> If you want to use the annotations that are on your Person fields, then
> you have to create a Person object.
> Technically, I believe you could generate code, the generator reading the
> annotations and producing code that will be able to validate data before
> creating the Person object, but there's no such things in GWT proper.
> That being said, creating a Person object shouldn't be that expensive that
> you want to avoid it a all costs.

http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/validation/Validator.html#validateValue(java.lang.Class,
java.lang.String, java.lang.Object, java.lang.Class...)

validateValue

<T> java.util.Set<ConstraintViolation
<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/validation/ConstraintViolation.html><T>>
*validateValue*(java.lang.Class<T> beanType,

java.lang.String propertyName,
                                                        java.lang.Object value,

java.lang.Class<?>... groups)

Validates all constraints placed on the property named propertyName of the
class beanType would the property value be value

ConstraintViolation objects return null for
ConstraintViolation#getRootBean() and ConstraintViolation#getLeafBean()

*Parameters:*beanType - the bean type propertyName - property to validate
value - property value to validategroups - group or list of groups targeted
for validation (default to
Default<http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/validation/groups/Default.html>
) *Returns:*constraint violations or an empty Set if none*Throws:*
IllegalArgumentException - if beanType is null, if propertyName null, empty
or not a valid object property or if null is passed to the varargs groups
ValidationException - if a non recoverable error happens during the
validation process

--
Nick Chalko | Software Engineer | ncha...@google.com |   :-)
Generate your java flags for easier testing.