Assuming your build is including the resource, your image will be under
/WEB-INF/classes/resource/icons/image.gif. Generally, you wouldn't access a
resource from your classes like that though. You could make a resource
servlet that would use the getResourceAsStream facility to load and serve
those resources. The conventions seems to be to either just put your image
in your webapp folder just like the css, or to use the GWT resource bundle
stuff.