Guilhem,

 I faced the same task as you a while ago so here are my opinions.

Using gwt-google-apis in your project is a bad idea. This project is in
very early stage, many things are not working, and it isn't developed any
more by google :

   - Last change in code was in may 2010
    (see http://code.google.com/p/gwt-google-maps-v3/source/list)
   - On this page http://code.google.com/p/gwt-google-maps-v3/ it states :
   This project is in alpha stage
   - And also on http://code.google.com/p/gwt-google-maps-v3/ you see this
   disclaimer : DISCLAIMER : As Google Map API (Javascript) is still in
   labs, code is expected to break on any relevant change in the API.

I ended up using using the one you mention
(https://github.com/downloads/branflake2267/GWT-Maps-V3-Api/Apis_Google_Maps-3.8.1.jar)

and everything I needed in my project worked like a charm.

Didn't use Clustering in that project though. But for my project I was very
pleased with that library (much better than the one Google is providing).

Another option you can use is not using GoogleMaps but GWT-OpenLayers
(http://www.gwt-openlayers.org/).
This has many benfits (OpenSource, not depending on other server, can use
other tiles than google tiles, ....) but also has disadvantages (like no
Streetview). I don't know the project you are doing though, so I can't just
say everything you need will work in GWT-OpenLayers.

greetings,
Frank

Note : I am a contributor of the GWT-OpenLayers project.