If you want the table height to remain consistent, couldn't you wrap the
table in a containing element (e.g. div) of a fixed height?  That way, if
you display the pager directly underneath the table for example, it will
always stay in the same spot and just the table itself will shrink.

I prefer manstis' (Mike's) fix to the default behavior of AbstractPager.  I
couldn't agree more with Steve's remarks.  To reiterate: when you page
over, I would expect to see a new result at the start of the table.  Yes,
that means the table must shrink, but you can use CSS to deal with that.

I think that the behavior of AbstractPager should be modified and manstis'
implementation of setPageStart() should be the default.  Perhaps a boolean
configurable (restrictVisibleRowsToPageSize) should be added which allows
for the user to utilize the current behavior of setPageStart().