> I don't understand your argument that the implementation would become
> "locked down" because changing methods from private to protected is opening
> it up, not locking it down.  Can you give an example of what you mean?  How
> can this possibly break existing code (barring a name conflict -- in which
> case you should create new classes, created the right way, so that new
> projects can use them without damaging the old projects)?

It opens the API for you, yes, but it locks down the API for the GWT team
as they can not remove the protected method anymore without breaking your
code that overrides that method. Its like a method on an interface. Once it
exists you can not remove it anymore without breaking  the code of the
library users. GWT chooses to make things as private as possible to give
the GWT team the freedom to change internal things without breaking any
existing code. If you think something should be protected you can file an
issue to request it and possibly start a discussion with the GWT team and
others.

In case of your DateBox you can listen for key strokes by adding key
handlers to datebox.getTextBox() which holds the rendered date. But you
have to test the TextBox content if its a valid date before continuing. An
invalid date string would result in DateBox.getValue() to return null (if
you use that value to do your search).

http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/latest/com/google/gwt/user/datepicker/client/DateBox.html#getTextBox()

-- J.