Looks like someone else mentioned the idea of having our own event, and
Bruce seemed interested (like we all are :]) But it sounds like we need to
get a website up and running and generate some interest. I'll tell you this
right now, my boss would fly our developers to such an event in a
heartbeat.

I like his (Bruce) idea of expanding it into an event that encompasses
UX/design/implementation. The GWT talks a few years back about how to
optimize your code, getting things down to below 100ms...I was just
starting GWT. Once I attended that talk, it all started to click. It was
invaluable.

Atlanta has been mentioned and I think it's a great hub for such an event.

We could have developers submit ideas for presentations, vote on them, and
then have the winners of the first round submit their presentations for
review.

What Ray said in that thread is right on the money. Google I/O gets larger
and larger every year. I wouldn't be surprised if all there was this year
was a Q&A with the GWT trust council...