(replied for those who find this old post)

in your css file add a line before the css definition for X:
@external X;

This tells GWT not to obfuscate the style name (where X is the style name)
Don't include the dot prefix and end the line with a semi-colon.

e.g.,

@external header;
.header {background:purple;}