Ah, a requirement for serial data connectivity. That is one that I
certainly did not think of.

Here are a couple of posts on that:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10608997/how-do-i-read-and-write-data-to-from-com-port-in-html-pages

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13689672/html5-serial-port-access

The last one has an interesting bit of info:

*"Google Chrome has a Javascript API to do that (
http://developer.chrome.com/apps/serial.html) but it is browser specific,
no HTML5"*

I searched for any article or post about using Chrome.serial with GWT, but
was not able to find any. At least, that is an alternative to investigate.
I suppose that enabling this library would be considerably cheaper than
re-writing your app as a desktop application.