Hello Michael! Thank you for your suggestions. I have done some 10 fresh
installs on empty work-spaces.
There seems to be an incompatibility with xulrunner. GWT designer needs
1.9.1.x or 1.9.2.x, while these versions may be incompatible with Ubuntu
13.04.
I have Icedtea-plugin 1.3.2-1ubuntu1, installed which should include
xulrunner 1.9.2.

I get this message as soon as the Designer tries to render:
"GWT Designer uses the SWT Browser widget to render the GWT UI. SWT Browser
requires a compatible xulrunner version installed: it should be 1.9.1.x or
1.9.2.x version and meet the current environment architecture. See
http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#whatisbrowser and related topics for
more information.