My GWT 2.5.1 app has sound effects which are played upon various user
actions. I have both WAV and MP3 versions of each sound in a DataResources
ClientBundle. This is working well in the desktop browsers I tested, but no
audio was emitted by iOS until I put @DoNotEmbed annotations on the WAV
resources. In other words, iOS was not producing audio from embedded data
URIs. It is now producing audio from the ...cache.wav files that the GWT
compiler emits, but there are variable and unacceptably long delays between
the user action, i.e., execution of the code to play the audio, and the
sound effect. GUI changes are not delayed, so because of the audio delay
the sounds are out of sync with the GUI.

My code is based on
SoundEffects.java<https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/samples/mobilewebapp/src/main/java/com/google/gwt/sample/mobilewebapp/client/ui/SoundEffects.java>in
 the sample mobilewebapp. This code attempts to pre-fetch the resources
by playing them at zero volume when the associated AudioElement is created.

I assume that the problem is that iOS is not caching the audio files. I
will appreciate any suggestions.