> From my experimentation with wrap() I can see very few circumstances in
> which case it is actually useful.  It appears to be useful where there is
> only one page.  The way nesting of widgets is handled would make it tricky
> in anything more complicated.

Yes, imagine a login application. Its UI is pretty easy and you could
design it right in your host html page, so no RootPanel, no LayoutPanels,
etc. If you want to do any useful with it you would get a handle to these
DOM elements and now you can decide if you want to work with the low level
element API or if you want the higher level Widget API by using any
existing *.wrap() method to attach GWT widgets to these elements. These
widgets created by *.wrap() do not have any parent widgets and will cleanup
themselves once you leave the login page. So IMHO its indeed for simple use
cases.

There are probably a good reasons why you can not wrap elements that are
already managed by a widget. E.g. if you remove the widget, what would
happen to the wrapped widget then?

-- J.