> IMHO having lots of blog posts for a given library somehow indicates that
> the library API is either too complex or documentation isn't good
> enough...well...or both.

Not IMHO, for 2 reaons:
1) As a marketing tool. Blog posts and HowTo's are used a lot by
TrendSetters and other interesting Software development websites. Blog
posts shows activity, movement and exposure...
2) There many different kind of developers and there are developers that
find easy things "very" difficult (I am often surprised by the forum
questions). If you want these developers to use your product, and to
motivate them you have to have all kind of HowTo's, blog posts (have a look
at commercial products where they are more commercial driven and have this
by default).
(you can make the most amazing product, but if nobody know about it, nor
how to use it, it will never be a success)