On Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:22:30 PM UTC+2, Oliver O. wrote:

> Thomas, thanks for putting all the effort into this.

Thanks for the feedback!

> I've experimented a bit with 1.0-alpha-2 on a little project with a
> structure similar to your guice-rf-activities Maven archetype. What I've
> observed so far:
>
>    - When used with GIN 2.0.0, on compiling *${module}.java*, the message
>    "The type passed does not inherit from Ginjector - please check the
>    deferred binding rules." appears for the *${module}Ginjector* class,
>    followed by a stack trace.
>
> The plugin uses its own class loader while GIN's class loader delegates to
> the system class loader instead of the class loader used to load GIN
> itself. This apparently causes the same class to be loaded by different
> class loaders, undermining class identity.
>

> If the gwt-maven-plugin alpha is used with a GIN version where the fix for
>  GIN issue 186 <https://code.google.com/p/google-gin/issues/detail?id=186>
> has
> been applied, it works as expected. Unfortunately, this fix is not
> available in GIN's svn repository yet.

I've opened https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/issues/5 to add an
option to fork a process.

>    - On the first run of mvn package after mvn clean, this message
>    appears, followed by a stack trace: [INFO] Unable to create new cache
>    log file .../${module}/${module}-client/target/${module}
>    -client-1.0-SNAPSHOT/../gwt-unitCache/gwt-unitCache-0000013F1E883EF9.
>
> Yes, I think the problem is that ${module}-client-1.0-SNAPSHOT does not
exist (yet) so ${module}-client-1.0-SNAPSHOT/../gwt-unitCache fails
(strangely, mkdirs() works, but it doesn't directly passed the absolute
path down to a native method, it first canonicalizes it)
I think this is a JVM bug, but it could be worked around in GWT (have
PersistentUnitCache call getCanonicalFile())

>    - Successive invocations of mvn package on unchanged sources always
>    compile the GWT module.
>
> This is strange because I have an integration test about this.

Could you please file a bug with a reduced repro case or some more
information?

> The third point is what currently precludes further use of the alpha-2
> version. In addition, I still need to figure out how to configure a draft
> compile for just one user agent. In the guice-rf-activities archetype
> there was a separate gwt.xml module file for that. Now it seems that module
> file names are somewhat hard coded into the plugin. However this one is not
> that important as one might introduce a code generation step for the module
> file.

Feel free to file an issue. Not sure how to deal with it yet. (should the
src/main/module.gwt.xml path be configurable? should things be configurable
in the pom.xml?)

> I've also read your well written analysis in the blog post In quest of
> the ultimate build
> tool<http://blog.ltgt.net/in-quest-of-the-ultimate-build-tool/>, so
> I'm curious how this might work out. For now, I would appreciate if Maven
> could be tamed to nicely support multi-module GWT builds and the new plugin
> looks promising to me.

That's the goal of that plugin. The CodeHaus plugin looks more like a hack
than a full-thought-out solution.