David,

I always wish I had more hours in the day, because every time I see people
struggling with DTOs I feel guilty.

I have a set of open source projects called dark-matter on Google Code that
make my GWT development life relatively easy. However, I haven't had the time
to "advertise" the frameworks and develop good training docs/examples. We use
dark-matter extensively in my division at Ericsson; we generate about 80% of
Java code for both server/client and use the same dark-matter objects in both
Swing and GWT UIs. In dark-matter, there are no DTOs. The dark-matter objects
themselves are designed from the ground up to be transportable/serializable via
a variety of mechanisms (including GWT RPC). The objects can be "sliced" I.e.
you can retrieve a subset of attributes as required and all CRUD operations
(and resulting events) against the objects are handled in a standard way.
Dark-matter objects (DMOs) are also designed to be wrapped for adaptation to
different environments, for example, I have wrappers that allow me to
seamlessly use DMOs with Sencha's GWT widgets.

I do have a small reference implementation of the Google contacts example that
illustrates many of the concepts, but the documentation is scant.

Anyway, the wiki for dark-matter-data does provide some basic background and if
you were interested in an explanation of dark-matter-contacts, I could put
something together.

Being able to use the same objects on client/server without having to resort to
DTOs has been incredibly useful.

Cheers!

Peter