I kind of wanted to have the rules stored as a business logic - albeit
running on the client side. - So the rules themselves are editable by a
super-group of users via an editor or atleast in form of xml. This
requirement is something similar to drools.

The normal users enter data in some form of table - and the rules
automatically run in the background to ensure data validity. The
validations are not just data validation but also business logic validation
- this requirement is a bit different from drools where the check runs only
when the engine is fired/started. In my requirement the checks run
continuously in the background - and popping errors whenever the entered
data violates some business constraint. - this requirement is similar to
having functions in M$ excel

Not sure if i am being too ambitious with the requirements - but any
pointers is useful.