Seems like the GitHub search is not correct.

I don't have the source checked out so I can't do reference searches, but
it seems like that ClassBasedEdgeFactory is used by all the different Graph
types if you provide a class for the edge in a constructor. But these Graph
classes all have a second constructor taking an EdgeFactory. So you could
create a super source version of ClassBasedEdgeFactory that just returns
null and never use the class based constructors.

In your GWT code you would then use something like

new SimpleGraph<String, DefaultEdge>(new EdgeFactory<DefaultEdge>() {
  DefaultEdge createEdge(String source, String target) {
     return new DefaultEdge();

-- J.