I have an app using Activities and Places. I have a process where I list
items, then show an item detail screen, then rename an item by showing a
screen with a single field. After rename, I show the item detail screen
again. So I wrote this as ListPlace, DetailPlace, RenamePlace with matching
Activities and Views.

Afterwards, I realize that I don't want the forward/back buttons to scroll
back through the Detail and Rename places. I only want the forward/back
buttons to move around in the list. I don't want the Rename place to be
bookmark-able, etc. This is my main problem. Can I use Places and not have
them stored in the history list? A I understand it, each Place is a new
History token and you can't modify the stack either because the browser
manages it.

Trying to work around this, from within the ListActivity I manually load
the FileInfoActivity, which then manually loads the RenameActivity
(activity.start()). This is working well except that it is MGWT and I don't
get animations when I do this because I'm skipping the
AnimatingActivityManager. I am manually calling onStop() on the activities.
I realize that I am short-circuiting some GWT wiring by doing this. It
seems to work, but I'm afraid I'm creating problems that I am unaware of.
Any guidance here? Anyone else do this?

I like that my view and logic are encapsulated within Activities and Views,
but I don't want a Place (new URL token stored in History) for every
Activity/View. If I throw all this logic into the top ListActivity and View
(rather than separating it into smaller Activity/Views), then the
ListActivity and ListView are going to get unwieldy as I keep adding
functionality.

How do I (Can I, Should I?) change the Activity/View without using/changing
Place? Is there another approach that will allow me to encapsulate my
functionality into smaller chunks?

Thanks,

Kevin