[re-sending now that I think I have group posting permissions]

I see the problem with GWT 2.6 + Guava 15 but not with GWT 2.5 + Guava
15 or GWT 2.6 + Guava 14. I suspect that Michael is right that Java
7's changes to generics enforcement are responsible. I assume that we
fixed the problem for Guava 15 when switching to Java 7 for our
non-GWT compiles. Are you able to update to Guava 15 (or at least to
easily verify that that Guava 15 solves the problem, in case I got my
tests mixed up)?