On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:31:45 AM UTC+1, Magnus wrote:

> Hi Thomas!
>

> Since this seems more like a WindowBuilder question than a specific GWT
>>> Designer question, I would recommend asking at the Eclipse forums linked
>>> above.
>>>

>> Actually, no. The error comes from UiBinder and more precisely the custom
>> parser for DockLayoutPanel.
>>

> Ok, so it's definitely an error? Not a wanted behavior that I do not know?
>

>> Generally speaking, you shouldn't extend existing widgets but rather
>> compose/wrap them within Composite or IsWidget.
>>

> Why?
>
> Besides Portal I also have a subclass ListPortal and several subclasses,
> e. g. GameListPortal, AnnouncementListPortal, etc...
>
> What would be a reason that the GUI tool makes requirements on the class
> hierarchy? I would expect such a tool to take my classes as some subclasses
> of some base class, e. g. UIObject. Why does the tool care about the
> intermediate classes?

UiBinder has a custom element parser for DockLayoutPanel, and that parser
mandates a unit="" attribute and unconditionally instantiate the class with
its constructor taking a Unit. It doesn't look for subclasses (except for
special-casing SplitLayoutPanel) and whether they have such a constructor.

Feel free to propose a patch.