I was having the same exact issues but got it work when mimicking
http://google-maps-utility-library-v3.googlecode.com/svn/tags/markerwithlabel/1.1.8/examples/basic.html

as close as possible.. i.e.
i was loading the external libraries via in JavaScript..  i.e.
            window.onload = loadScript();
I changed them to these:
        <script type=""text/javascript""
src=""http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?v=3&amp;sensor=false"";></script>