Hi Thomas,
   Side note: I love that you're so active on this forum. Keep up the great
work.

Refactoring, of course, is ideal when possible. However, refactoring is not
always an option. Who among us hasn't had to rely on code that we don't
control or own? The pieces of code we would like to use client-side fall
into that category. The performance issue you mentioned, for us a least,
would be a welcome change over the long-term headache of maintaining
wrappers/parallel classes/parallel hierarchies/etc.

Proposal: Can we just hire Thomas Broyer, the man himself, to code up a
super-source drop in replacement for java.io? That way: GWT remains
unsullied, we're headache-free, and Thomas buys something nice for his SO.