i use "custom code" in 90% of the cases. to me, the ui binder is just
another way of describing the ui.
i'd use it if i wanted to outsource the ui work to some css-guy that has no
java skills.
what is cleaner depends on what you do, imho. if you're going to do a
dynamic panel with components that depend on which setting you made
elsewhere in the ui, i don't see how to do that cleaner using the ui binder.