On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:22:45 PM UTC+1, Jens wrote:

> The goals I have in mind with moveable and resizeable in-browser windows
>> would be:
>>

>> Let users define the board's size and position additional widgets like
>> clock, history, etc..
>>

>> For example, having vector based graphics would enable the users to
>> resize the chess board. How could this be done better than with
>> in-browser-windows?
>>

> Depends on what "etc..." means. A board + clock + history will nicely fit
> onto the screen without multiple in-browser windows. Actually the goal of
> your app, playing chess and communicate with others, is so simple that it
> should not need in-browser windows. Moveable widgets sounds like feature
> creep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep) to me or you are
> trying to solve a problem that can also be solved by rethinking the UI
> layout in general. But thats kind of off-topic so if you want opinions on
> your app drop me a private mail.

You may call it feature creep and I also hate reinventing things that are
already provided, like browser tabs or windows. But the wish to resize
things is present, and it differs among users. Some want to use the maximum
screen/browser size for a single widget, others prefer to have multiple
widgets arranged side by side.

If you don't use in-browser windows then the alternative cannot be tabs or
browser windows. These are usually always maximized, and I would not want
to change this. (I really do not like browser apps that open new, small
browser windows.)

So what would be an alternative approach? Maybe a SplitLayoutPanel...

Magnus