Hi,

I didn't know about DCEVM. Thanks for sharing.

In my poor old development machine I am employing hot-deploy on tomcat. This works nicely because my webapp has zero initialization cost and the time is actually consumed on war zip/copy/unzip. We are talking 7sec vs 21sec differences.

Here is the script I use. Your mileage may vary. Also take into account that you will need some iterations to make sure that it actually hot deploys in tomcat as it is more fragile than reploy. And AFAIR there was also a tomcat configuration variable that enables hot deploy but I cannot remember details.

Hint: Put some logs in the constructor of your service so that you know the redeploy is triggered.

---- cut here hot-deploy.sh ----
#!/bin/sh -e

TOMCAT=$HOME/tomcat;
WEBAPPSDIR=$TOMCAT/webapps;
LOGDIR=$TOMCAT/logs;
WEBAPP=sn;
LOG=$LOGDIR/$WEBAPP.log;

[ -d war ] || { echo "Cannot find war directory" >&2; exit 1; }

prev_line=`tail -n 1 $LOG`;

rsync -av war/ $WEBAPPSDIR/$WEBAPP;

[ "$1" = "-n" ] && exit 0;

touch $WEBAPPSDIR/$WEBAPP/WEB-INF/web.xml;

#echo $prev_line;
while : ; do
        next_line=`tail -n 1 $LOG`;
        /bin/echo -ne ".";
        sleep 1;
        [ "$prev_line" = "$next_line" ] || break;
done;
echo "";
#echo $next_line;