The thing that seems to have the biggest impact: be very specific about
concrete classes, otherwise you get an explosion on the number of
serializers that are generated. So don't use List, Collection, Iterable,
Map or even worse Serializable. When using generics also try to have a
specific base type in the generic parameter declaration or the compile size
explodes.

As a Java dev we have been trained to use Collection interfaces or after
Guava even going to Iterable ... not a great idea with RPC.
So I am using a small set of final collection classes in the member
declarations (but not on the setters/getters).

I'm also using a command pattern iso RPC directly, that makes my exposure
to GWT specifics minimal and I can bypass the RPC part for automated tests.
This way I add extra features like bulking, security, caching, etc.