> What is the procedure you use for detecting app and rpc policy file
> change?

We have implemented a couple of things:

1.) We treat every IncompatibleRemoteServiceException and every
SerializationException as indication that the app has been updated because
both exceptions should never occur otherwise (unless you have not tested
your app before it goes into production). So whenever they are thrown we
treat it as app update.

2.) Whenever a split point can not be loaded it is likely that the app has
been updated and permutation hashes have changed. We treat that as app
update as long as the browser is online.

3.) We have a dynamic host page that contains some embedded JSON data. This
data contains an app version string generated on the server based on the
context root the app has been deployed to, e.g.
hash("/app-<build-timestamp>"). The app extracts that server version from
the host page and sends it back to the server with each request. A servlet
filter is then checking this version against the current server version. If
they are different a HTTP status code is send back to the client which
causes the client to reload itself because the server has been updated.

The first two have been used while we had a static host page. The second
and the third one are used now as we switched to a dynamic host page. We
still need the second option because our JavaScript is served from a plain
web server and not from the Java app server. Thus the servlet filter can
not check the app version in case of split point downloads. If you don't
have that separation I think you could replace the split point download
strategy of GWT with a custom one which also sends the app version to the
server so you can check it.

Works pretty well for us so far.

-- J.